- You Are Here:
- How Do I...
- Sign Up For
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Community Center
Volunteer opportunities with the Community Center include a variety of positions. Get involved by calling the Community Center at 913-826-3160.
Facility Maintenance Specialist
Assist the Building Maintenance Supervisor at the Roeland Park Community Center with a variety of tasks that could include painting or touch up of interior rooms, assisting with fall leaf clean up, assist with pre-scheduled building cleaning and more.
If the volunteer possesses specific knowledge in plumbing, electricity, heating or cooling, or other specialized vocational skills, they could be called upon for their expertise. Time commitment would be on an as needed basis and would vary in length depending on the project.
Fitness Room Attendant
Evening hours available Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon. Duties include:
- Answering questions about fitness room memberships
- Cleaning fitness equipment
- Ensuring members are signing in
- Greeting fitness room patrons
Garden Maintenance Specialist
Assist with the Community Garden on the Roeland Park Community Campus. The time commitment is flexible with more help needed in the spring and summer when the garden is producing at its peak. Duties could include:
- Pulling weeds
- Other tasks required to maintain a healthy garden
In general, the Community Center relies on volunteers to cover the offices in this capacity one to two times per month for a minimum of one hour and at most four hours. Duties include:
- Answering phones
- Greeting the public
- Informing those inquiring about the programs and services offered on the Community Center Campus
Special Event Assistant
Assist Johnson County Park and Recreation District’s event coordinators with a variety of tasks that could include:
- Clean up
- Helping to run activities and games
- Serving food
- Set up
- And more
Events can be during the week in the middle of the day or on weekends and range from one hour to four hours maximum.
Summer Lunch Program Assistant
Serve lunch to kid’s between the ages of 0 to 18 in the Kid’s Café. The Lunch Program begins the first week of June and ends the first week of August. Lunch is served daily. Volunteers are needed daily between the hours of 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Duties include:
- Adhering to Harvester’s Kid’s Café regulations for program
- Cleaning up and returning unused food to the kitchen
- Counting food that is left
- Keeping attendance records
- Keeping perishable items on ice
- Serving the lunch
- Setting up the prepackaged meals